I admit it – I took every opportunity to indulge over my Thanksgiving vacation.
Sure, I worked out once a day. But between mom’s never-ending supply of baked goods, my favorite ice cream stocked in the fridge, and the great turkey meal itself…my waistline is feeling a little worse for wear.
So I’m taking a few moments this week to brush up on a few healthy habits and get back on the bandwagon.
1. High Quality H2O: This one is so simple yet so hard. I know how important it is to drink plenty of water every day. It increases my energy levels, tempers my urge to snack, and sends my skin into a happy dance. To help get my hydration on track, I’ve decided to spice up my water bottle with different infusions each day. Some of my favorite additions are cut cucumber, ginger, lemon, and even some chia seeds. Try it!
2. Smart Snacking: My monstrous sweet tooth typically attacks around late afternoon. This is when commence the walk of shame from cubicle to cubicle hoping one of my coworkers has a candy dish on their desk. Talk about pathetic. So I decided to do something about it. These no-bake energy bites are sweet with raw honey and sunflower butter, have a pinch of salt to balance things out, and finish with a yummy crunch from oats and almonds.
3. Nutritious Meals: Living in downtown DC makes takeout a quick and easy option after a long day. There are plenty of healthy options to choose from, but I tend to walk myself into the local Thai joint and order death-by-padthai. To save me from myself, I’ve decided to make a huge batch of butternut squash curry with lentils and shrimp. This dish is packed with nutrition and should last me through a few meals.
4. Glorious Sleep: I type this as I sit up at 10:30 writing. Bad fitness blogger. But we all know how critical sleep is to our mood, our health, and our workouts. Fit crashing would be terribly hard without a good night’s sleep. I’m setting an alarm at 10:45 to remind myself to start winding down for the day. At that point, the computer shuts and I start my bedtime routine.
5. Breathe: Coming off of a vacation is always like drinking out of a firehose. Not only has the work piled up at the office, but the holiday commercials are on full tilt reminding me of all the shopping I haven’t done yet. Talk about stress! Combat the overload by taking a big, deep, juicy breath. It slows the world down for a few moments and sends a signal to your brain to chillax. Things are going to be okay.
6. Schweat: This is something Lululemon made into a mantra, but I’m going to state it again. “Sweat once a day.” No excuses. I always need to remind myself that some days this means taking the stairs at work or walking around the block after dinner instead of sitting to watch TV. Other times it means fit crashing a new class and hammering out a killer workout. Little or big, take the steps to make it habit.[line]